Whidbey School Liaison
The School Liaison is the primary point of contact between the military installation, the local schools and school districts, transitioning families and the community at large.
The Navy School Liaison program helps installation and regional commanders work with state departments and local school districts to foster awareness of the stressors on military families brought about by frequent transitions and extended deployments. These education professionals are located on all major Navy installations and serve as linkages between Navy families and schools. Parents and community members with questions on school-age military child education are encouraged to contact their local School Liaison.
Services for Transitioning Families
The School Liaison specializes in serving military students and families, and offers a wide spectrum of services, including:
- Assisting families with inbound/outbound school transfers
- Providing information on local schools and boundaries
- Assisting with school choice
- Providing information about graduation requirements
- Providing military and community agency referrals
- Helping families to understand the special education process
- Providing information on home schooling regulations
- Assisting with post-secondary preparation
Services for Educators
Navy School Liaison work with school personnel to foster a positive and mutually beneficial relationship between schools and the military community, all for the sake of the military child. Specifically, the School Liaison will:
- Develop solutions in partnership with local schools to overcome barriers to successful education, as it relates to the military child.
- Collaborate with local schools to facilitate the education transition experience.
- Connect schools with the Navy deployment support system to provide awareness about the effects of deployment as it relates to academic success and tools that are available to assist educators in working with military children.
- Offer transition-related professional development opportunities for educators.
- Connect schools with the Partnerships in Education program.
Services for Command Leadership
School Liaisons serve as subject-matter experts for installation and regional commanders on K - 12 issues, helping to connect command, school and community resources in support of military children and youth. School Liaison Officers and Commanders work together with schools to create a partnership bridge between the military and school communities, to address transition and deployment related challenges faced by military children. Commands interested in volunteering in local schools should contact the School Liaison to find out more information.
The Youth Sponsorship Program can connect you with a peer at the new CYP program or school to help create a smooth transition.